Welcome to the San Francisco Choral Society! We look forward to singing with you!
SF Choral strives to maintain a high standard of performance excellence. Our audition policies are designed to help members evaluate and continually improve their skills to achieve and maintain a high performance level.
Auditions are conducted in small groups. The Artistic Director or Assistant Artistic Director, with the assistance of section leaders, assesses vocal technique and musicianship/reading skills. The process includes a group warm-up, followed by individual vocalization to evaluate range, intonation and vocal production. The audition includes sight-reading a four-measure musical passage.
- New singers are admitted to chorus by audition. Auditions are held prior to the holiday-season Festival of Carols and prior to each of the three annual major concert sets.
- Each singer who auditions and is accepted into the chorus is placed in one of three categories:
1. Skills above the required level
2. Skills at the required level
3. Skills need development
To maintain the quality of our chorus and to help singers in their vocal development, we periodically re-audition all chorus members.
- Singers in categories 1 and 2 must re-audition every three years. Singers will be contacted when it is time to schedule a re-audition.
- Singers in category 1 must re-audition if they miss five consecutive major concert performances (not including Festival of Carols). A major concert performance includes all dress rehearsals and final performances.
- Singers in category 2 must re-audition if they miss three consecutive major concert performances (not including Festival of Carols). A major concert performance includes all dress rehearsals and final performances.
- Singers in category 3 must re-audition for each concert (including Festival of Carols).
- The Artistic Director may grant a singer a one-time absence from a major concert performance dress rehearsal or performance and the singer is not required to re-audition.
- The Artistic Director or Assistant Artistic Director may change a singer’s skill category following re-audition.
- The Artistic Director may ask any singer, in any category, to audition at any time or prior to a major concert performance.
- The Artistic Director may waive audition requirements for those singers who artistic abilities are well known to him.